Yael, Nic & the company’s team of highly skilled professional dance artists lead a diverse programme of classes, workshops, commissions and mentoring across the UK and internationally. Work is specifically tailored to suit youth companies, community & over 60s groups alongside BA and postgraduate students, professional dance artists and teachers.
For on-going technique classes and workshops please see our class listings.
Commissions: creation of new work with a group that is performed alongside the company’s live work or independently. Courses involve daily technique class with afternoons focusing on improvisation, set material and choreographic tasks leading towards the creation of the new work.
Dance specific courses:
One-day workshops include technique, repertoire and improvisation leading to choreographic tasks and discussion. Longer residencies operate in four main forms:
Courses and workshops focusing on process and methodology based on the company’s productions. These normally begin with bodywork and a technique class with afternoons focusing on improvisation, contact work, work with text, choreographic tasks and discussion.
Digital Dance workshops, dance workshops that integrate the use of film and/or digital technology. See also digital workshops.
Lecture Demonstrations & academic presentations: Yael and Nic together and individually offer lecture demonstrations, gallery talks, pre and post show talks and academic presentations for conferences. Please contact the company to discuss your requirements further.
Comments from youth and professional participants
“Being able to take part in this has been a great opportunity. Working with Yael has been fantastic and I would love to do it again.”
“Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to work with you, I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it right from the start to all the performances. It was definitely a challenging project for me… I have learnt so much from it, which I can now take away and deliver in other areas of my work”
“The weekend has inspired me to find my creative thread again”
“Thank you for a fun-tastic, fulfilling and inspiring couple of weekends! It’s been so nice to dance and make and meet such lovely dancers in the region. And to work and dance with you so intimately. I very much enjoy observing the way you approach choreography and shape your work…It’s quite rare these days and in this neck of the woods to get such a Fab opportunity.”
“The classes were an absolute cultural lifeline during the pandemic. Much needed for physical and mental health as well as development of artistic creative side.“
“I have enjoyed the classes a great deal, they are varied, stimulating and accessible to all abilities. The teachers are warm, welcoming and professional in their preparation and lesson plans.“
“Acting your Age classes has been a lifeline for me during the past 18 months and during the lockdowns. I have really enjoyed the classes, having different teachers who offer different ways of moving and using the body and mind and imagination. The classes have kept me moving and in touch with dance at a time when I couldn’t physically attend dance classes. I’ve always felt welcome, a part of the group and there has always been the opportunity for sharing at the end.”
“Great classes, stimulating, well-paced, fun and creative. A very friendly and warm feeling emanates from the teachers and participants.”
Commissions & workshops can be tailored to group size and will be led by either one or two members of the company depending on the size of the group. The company provides cameras and projection equipment for digital workshops in collaboration with host organisation.
Classes can range from one off sessions (1.5 hours minimum) through to full week-long residencies or longer depending on the context.
Recent classes, workshops & teacher insets:
- Acting Our Age 55+ movement workshops, online & in Israel
- South East Dance youth dance technique & digital workshops
- Cheshire Dance Digital Hack & workshops for over 60s & professional artists
- Yorkshire Dance- Dance transports, Digital Dance workshops
- Ludus Dance- Digital Dance workshops
- Independent Dance professional classes
- Laban summer school- choreography workshops
- Bikurei-Itim- technique & composition teacher insets.
Graduate-Postgraduate students & professionals:
- Mapdance- Postgraduate/MA, University of Chichester, touring internationally
- Maslool- Professional Dance training, Tel-Aviv, Israel, touring internationally
- Stavanger University- BA students
- Trinity-Laban- BA3 graduating students
- Edge- Postgraduate/MA, London Contemporary Dance School, touring internationally
- Motus Dance Festival- outdoors commission for professional dancers
- Hull Dance- commission for professional dancers
- Freefall Dance Company, Cornwall
- Cascade Dance Company, Kent
- Lila Dance, Chichester
- Swindon Dance, Exeter-Centre for Advanced Training
- Dance East- Centre for Advanced Training
- Cando2 together with The Place Centre for Advanced Training
- The Point – youth commission
- Northern School of Contemporary Dance Centre for Advanced Training
- Exeter College- Phoenix Arts Centre
- Wessex Dance Academy- Winchester
Over 60s & community Commissions:
- Hull Dance
- Encore East
- Three Score Dance